Chemical Abstracts Services (CAS) has an immediate opening for a Product Manager in the Marketing Division to support STN, an online database service that provides global access to published research, journal literature, patents, structures, sequences, properties, and other data. STN's interfaces provide access to the world's largest and most comprehensive collection of scientific information. The product manager will join the dynamic, inter- and intra-organizational team responsible for insuring STN's ongoing success in a challenging and evolving technical and competitive environment.
CAS provides the world's largest and most current collection of chemical and related scientific information, and combines these databases with advanced search and analysis technologies to deliver the most complete, cross-linked and effective digital information environment for scientific research and discovery, including such products as SciFinder, STN, STN Express, and STN AnaVist, among others.
In this position, the incumbent will:
- Lead and provide project leadership to cross-divisional teams to accomplish goals related to this position;
- Champion new products or features through the product development process, including prioritization, and ensure availability per schedule;
- Provide direction to development teams for product improvements based on CAS strategic initiatives, customer needs, and competitive environment;
- Develop and manage customer contact initiatives including interviews, surveys and site visits to understand customer behavior and needs;
- Conduct Alpha testing to understand sufficiency of new products and features to meet customer needs;
- Assist with the development and execution of strategies to drive growth, retention and profitability, and optimize market penetration;
- Maintain awareness of all pertinent competitive threats and opportunities worldwide, including technical developments and market share data, and perform competitive analysis;
- Prepare detailed and timely monthly and quarterly management reports
Additionally, incumbents may be asked to participate in industry and trade shows, maintain contact with Key Customers, and provide product support to the Sales Division worldwide. Incumbents may also be involved in or support product launches, including support for the development of communication materials, or in developing and obtaining approval on pricing and revenue models.
For consideration, candidates must possess:
- Demonstrated strong project management experience, showing the ability to develop project plans & work breakdown structures; to manage tasking and critical path to completeness, resource, or date constraints; and to re-plan and re-prioritize in a dynamic project environment
- Demonstrated analysis and communication skills - to keep the product development team and management apprised of progress, challenges and issues; to provide analysis and recommendations on project and product issues and alternatives; to communicate effectively in formal written documents and presentations.
- Demonstrated success in creating recommendations, supported by market facts, for meeting identified customer needs
- Demonstrated success in developing and managing customer contact initiatives including interviews, surveys and site visits to understand customer behavior and needs
- Organization, attention to detail and ability to prioritize and track personal assignments and commitments through completion or resolution
- Ability to work effectively with cross-divisional teams, all Marketing and Sales departments, and with a demanding and highly educated customer base
- Excellent understanding of business operations and principles
- Bachelors Degree in Chemistry or Life Sciences-related discipline; Excellent PC and productivity software skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- 5+ years of experience
- Strong interpersonal skills, both as a leader and within a team environment
Best qualified candidates will possess additional skills, experience and education:
- An advanced degree in Chemistry or Life Sciences-related discipline; MBA
- Certification in project management; demonstrated ability in applying Pragmatic Marketing or stage-gate approaches
- Experience in a business consulting firm
- Demonstrated success in leading and conducting primary and secondary market analysis initiatives with a customer-based focus
- Demonstrated ability developing pricing and revenue models and proposals, and conducting, coordinating and managing product launches
- Experience in the Information Industry and/or knowledge of STN products a strong plus
Chemical Abstracts Service offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, including a generous vacation plan, medical, dental, vision insurance plans, and employee savings and retirement plans. For consideration, please visit www.cas.org and click "Careers" at the bottom of the home page. An Equal Opportunity Employer.