The same blank editor page comes up for each of these new content icons that are further described on Wiki Tip - What differentiates the PIUG Blog, PIUG-DF, and Other Information Pages?:
The Confluence editor box looks like this:
A big issue for new users seems to be that the Page title, which is in large font and may also be considered the subject or the page, is followed by lots of white space without clear value.
You put the rest of the page content below that top line. To get to the content entry area of the edit box, use the Enter key, the Tab key or your mouse.
The just enter content as you would any similar page editor. It really works pretty well. If you paste in content, you may lose functionality like smart numbering or bullet points, so just use the numbering, bullet point and other functions in the editor to insure that your content has proper indentation and formatting.
Before completing your page, use the several important options at the bottom of the page.
- Always uses the Preview button to make sure all looks correct. Take special note that there is a subject line and content. The editor is WYSIWYG, but all editors are imperfect. The Preview button will change to Edit so that you can get back to editing if necessary:
- Pressing Save actually publishes your page and does not simply save your page for additional work. To continue creating the wiki page, edit the page and add new content to the editor box itself, not to the comment box under your own page. Comments are for conversation (see Wiki Tip). Confluence saves your work on wiki pages every 30 seconds and provides future access in your drafts. The Blog editor offers Publish rather than Save, but work on blog posts and comments are not automatically saved in drafts.
- Check or uncheck (shown above) the Notify watchers option to be considerate of sending important or relatively unimportant email to your colleagues. Usually the default is to notify watchers, but in many cases your colleagues don't actually benefit by learning of your modest editorial changes.
- If you edited existing content, tell people what content you changed. This will appear at the top of alerting email messages and will help people find your contribution to the page.
The comment editor is the same except that options to specify what you changed or control notifications are not available.
Note that the top of the editor screen contains these useful items:
- Breadcrumbs that show where in the wiki hierarchy the page or blog post appears. If available, use the location function to move the page to another place in the wiki.
- Control what users or groups may view or edit the page with the Wiki Tip - Restricting View or Edit Access to Pages or Blog Posts. icon. For more information, see
- You may add labels to the page with the label icon, although labels are not generally used in the PIUG wiki.